We’ve all experienced the tiresome, repeated searching when trying to book the cheapest possible flights to any given destination. With endless search engines and many different airlines, it is hard to find the best price for our journey. With all the struggles, we have finally thought that we have selected the most cost effective option. Then, two weeks later the price of our flight has somehow dropped and we get angry at ourselves that we spend unnecessary more money on the same journey. Don’t worry about that anymore! We have the solution here. We all know that the approach to frugal flight booking is overwhelming. You just need to know the secrets to finding the cheapest flights and if you really want to find the best low cost flights you have to know the tricks of the trade.
- Always search for flights in incognito or private browsing mode. This is a golden rule if you want to end up with the cheapest offers. Why, you ask? When you are searching for a flight almost every day in order to see if the price has dropped, the truth is that the flight price increases after searching it a few times in your web browser. Maybe it has happened to you many times before without even realising it. Based on the cookies in your browser, flight prices increase when the same route is repeatedly searched. This is because the site wants to scare you into booking the flight quickly before prices get even higher. To protect yourself from that, you need to always search for flights in incognito or private browsing mode or even better, to use different computers. Your cookies are reset each time you re-open an incognito window, so no saved information has been kept.
- Sign up for email alerts from your favourite airlines. If you are into marketing, you would know how beneficial newsletters are. You inbox may be often full from these emails but some of them will have important sales, new routes with special introductory rates, and most importantly, low fares on flights. So, if you want to travel somewhere abroad soon, visit some of your favourite airlines and sign up for their emails. Wait for a few days and your inbox will be full with offers!
- Book at least seven weeks in advance. Although you may find good last minute deals as airlines were desperate to get rid of their empty seats, the best option is to book seven weeks in advance in order to buy the tickets in their cheapest point. Budget airlines typically offer low rates as a baseline price, and as these tickets sell, the remaining ones increase in cost.
- Check for the best prices on Tuesday. The simple reason for this is that most airlines will know if the weekend flights are fully booked. As airlines want their planes to be fully booked, there may be some empty seats which need to be filled in by the end of the week. Because of this, airlines tend to lower the prices on these empty seats. This means more value for you!
- Always refer to airlines’ social media channels. Whether it is a low-cost airline or expensive airline, all of them have been experimenting with blasting fares via social media. Some airlines announce special sales or competitions for free tickets exclusively to their loyal fans on Facebook and Twitter. Sometimes you may end up with first class tickets to a hot destination without spending a fortune! However, you must always check their channels and you need to act fast! Some deals can be gone within hours.
- Consider flying with two airlines. Most airlines now sell one-way flights at reasonable prices, meaning one airline may offer cheaper prices for the outbound flight and another airline to offer better deals for the return. At the end, you may end up flying from one airport and departing from another. If it is not an issue for you to mix and match, you may find the cheapest deals when booking with two airlines.
- Book a package deal. If you need a hotel in addition to your flight, it may be cheaper to buy a flight-and-hotel package than to book each separately. Many airlines are in partnerships with a variety of different hotels around the world and provide exclusive deals to their passengers if they decide to book together their flight and hotel. This is a great opportunity to find deals at big brands that are hesitant to have a low price next to their name!